Saturday, November 10, 2012

Paradise Cross Frenzy 11/10/2012 Oy, I'm in the pain cave, and droped the torch

Cross race at the Harpoon Brewery in VT.  Only an hour from home, which was a bit of a nice change.  Later start for the cat 4 race, which also was a nice change.  Took my daughter out for breakfast before the race, then went home and took my time getting ready.

Left a little later than planned.  Still had plenty of time, but was going to have to do with a single pre-race lap rather than a few.  Ran into Tim and John in the parking lot headed to the course.  The earlier race ended a bit short, so I got on course and took a spin.  There was a set of 4 BMX style berms just after the start, with a short downhill run in, so you could take them with a good bit of speed.  So much fun!  A few spirals on an open field, short gravel jeep trail then a bend up and town across the ridge.  A chicane around some tight trees with pretty loose traction.  Had to take it really easy, then a fast slight downhill on the road, slight uphill, then the run up.  It was theoretically possible to ride up this, but most I saw try bogged down near the end.  At the top there was a narrow slot to get back on the bike, then a steep offcamber downhill with a single good line.  A bit bumpy, so it was critical to get both feet in, but as long as you did that it was not too hairy.  Another grassy section w/ no long straights, then into the barriers.  I clipped out, but my left foot clipped back in just as I was stepping over the barrier.  I went down hard on top of the barrier, and knocked the wind out of me.  Left the bike there, and stumbled around the course for a second trying to recover, then hopped back on to the finish.

Got in the lineup, but I was really winded.  Race got off shortly.  Smaller field, so I had good position, and was in the top 15 or 20 at the start.  Passed a few riders, but just after the berm section started fading.  Did a good job bruising my ribs, and every deep breath was a dull throb across my chest.  I was hunting the riders ahead, and stuck close for the first lap, but after that, the pain got worse, and they just pulled a way.  Lost a position or two every lap for the next 4 laps.  Got in 5 laps in total.  A bit frustrating to see a top fifteen place ride away from me, but there was nothing to do but limit my losses.  Just prayed that I could hang on and avoid getting lapped.  Did that in style, finished 25th out of 40 riders.  My second best placing this year, which is good, but really was hoping to be finishing in the 10-15 range.

Signed up for another race in Putney, VT tomorrow.  It's close to home, so I will most likely be there as long as I can get out of bed.  With these ribs, though, it will be hard to give it my all.

All racers got a token for a free beer, so I headed into the brewery and got some beer and chili.  Met a nice guy who was waiting while his wife raced.  Turns out she was from seattle, and he was from Portland, OR, so we had a bunch of things to discuss.  They'll be in Putney tomorrow, so I'll have to look for them.

1 comment:

  1. Keep ripping it over there by the "other" ocean. The season is growing long out here..

    ReplyDelete