Saturday, November 3, 2012

Bennington Wicked Creepy cross Cat 4 10/28/2012

Racing out in Bennington, VT.  More technical course.  Started heading up a hill on a paved section, then a bit of grassy turns with a few sidehills and off camber sections.  It has been really dry, so it was not at all muddy.  Downhill, over a huge drainage swale, turn then up a run up w/ stairs.  Down a short hill, then across the flats and into the barriers.  You were carrying a ton of speed heading into the barriers, and had to really hit the brakes hard before dismounting.  A few sidehills with a bunch of snakey 180 degree turns, then through a short muddy singletrack section into the steep runup, one last 180 then the start/finish.  Fun course.  Had to watch it a bit on the sidehills, but not super technical.

Smaller field.  37 riders in the cat4 masters.  No worries about staging, just jump in wherever. Took up off the hill.  I passed a few riders, and was riding well.  Kept moving up a few places each lap.   4 laps.  Looking at my heart rate data after the fact, it looks like I may have been slowing down a bit on the last lap?  There were a few riders I was trying to catch at the end, and I got closer, but ran out of course.  The end had the sidehills w/ 180s, then the singletrack section ( which was giving me fits), followed by a run up.  Hard to gain ground there.  I'm better at punching it down a straightaway, or taking some corners faster to move tup.

Had an hour and a half to rest, then had the Cat 3/4 race coming up.  I was wiped out, and knew this would be tough.  Tim passed by me just past the start, said hey and tried to hang on.  Lost a lot of ground early, and just lost a place or two each lap.  After one lap, the announcer said "5 to go".  Not what I wanted to hear.  That would be almost an hour of racing for me.  It is a bit uncouth, but I was looking forward to getting lapped so that my misery would be over sooner.  That happened after 4 laps.  On the last lap, I was duelling it out with one rider, not realizing we were the last two out there.  He dropped his chain, and I rode past, asking if he was OK  He got it back on, then quickly caught up and passed.  I just wanted to stay on his wheel, and followed that all the way to the end.  Finished dead last, but I really crack on the second race of a double.

After the race, caught up with Tim and John, it was good to see them.  Rode by the guy I was duelling with, and congratulated him.  Then paced things up and headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment