Saturday, November 3, 2012

Northampton cycle smart cross 11/3/2012

Fast flat course.  One steep run up, one shorter run up with some stairs.  I got in a lap and a half before the start.  Big group at the start, 150 riders in the Cat4, Cat4 35+ and Cat 4 Juniors, though I didn't see the kinds in the staging area.

Ran into John in the line up, it was good to see him.  He got called up early, as staging was by Crossresults.com points.  I'm still a bit further back on that list, so I was staged about 2/3 back.  I was determined to give it some gas at the start, and try to hold position or move up as soon as possible.  We were off, and I did not gain any ground, and lost only a few positions.  Into the second corner, rubbed shoulders with a guy, and we seemed to be glued together for the next turn and into the straight.  He muttered something about keeping it together, and we both kept the rubber down, and broke away.

Big traffic jam heading into the steep run up, which came early on the course.  We were all walking and slowly making our way up the slope, then back on the bike to ride around the top part of the course.  A mix of rooty wooded trails and paved bike paths, then down a chute back to the lower part of the course.  I was making a few moves on the top, and only got passed by a couple of riders, so I was feeling pretty good about things.  A few S turns though a packed sandy section, a few more grassy turns and straights, and into the sand pit.  I bobbled the first lap through, then on subsequent laps remembered to get the weight way back and power through in a big gear.  Cleared it the next two laps, then bobbled again on the last lap, spending more energy on the guy who bogged down ahead of me instead of going around. 

Started the race w/ 31 lbs in the front tire, and 33 in the rear.  This was a low as I have gone, but I thought I've give it a shot.  I hit the rim a few times, but luckily never got a flat.  Given the roots out there, another pound or two may have been better.  When I got home I saw that my rear wheel was just rubbing the brake.  These 20 spoke wheels are for the birds, or for riders lighter than me.  I may need to start looking for another pair, or maybe see about having someone reset the tension.  I'm constantly truing them, and that could be part of the problem.  Thing was, I sent both wheels in to have the rims replaced in the last few months, at which point they were rebuilt...

After the first lap, it was looking like we we would be out there for 4 laps total.  With any luck, I would avoid getting lapped, but this was looking good.  Jumping up every few hundred meters, and only getting passed once or twice a lap.

On the last lap, I had a few riders in my sight.  Dug hard and got past a few of them, then only one more with the finish line in sight.  Drilled it to catch on the last rider.  Coming into the paved finishing straight, he glanced back and thought I was too far back, and eased in.  I stomped on the pedals, hitting 115rpm, and passed him just before the line.  We were scored at the same time, with him ahead of me, though.  C'est la vie.

Rode the course one after the race to relax my legs.  Came across a guy in a HSP kit.  He asked me if I was from seattle.  He lives in Queen Anne, and was out visiting family.  We chatted a bit as he was warming up for the masters 45+. 

Overall, I was not thrilled with my placing, but not unhappy.  Did not get lapped, which is trend I want to keep up.  I wonder if I would have been a little closer had that run up not been so early.  The race would have been a bit less split up for sure.  It looks like they may be rerouting the course tomorrow, and the run up may be gone?  In any case in the top 100 out of 133 riders is fine, and 6 minutes off the leaders time is not bad for a 40 minute race.

Looking forward to getting a bit of rest, then hitting the course again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment