Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Bike Fitting Drummond Cycles

Spent a bit of time at Drummond Cycles this week getting a bike fit.  I had already been fit by Paul at BikeFit, but got a new frame this year, and switched a few parts out.  I tried to keep the same measurements, but wanted to get checked out and fine tuned.  We had time to do three bikes, so I brought my cross bike and neglected TT bike as well.  I have not been doing many TTs since I have moved.  I still deciding if I should keep that bike, or sell it as I have only ridden it once or twice.  There was a casual weekly TT series in town last year, but I never really got that into it, and they have decided not to do it again this year.

First we installed some new Time iclic2 pedals on the bike.  I have been meaning to put these on for a while, but never got to it.

 Dick ( the shop owner and fitter) said "You will really like these pedals."  Good to hear.  My buddy Richard said the same thing at the end of the season.  It seems like my position was pretty good, but my saddle was tipped a bit forward, which was pushing me off of the nose.  I would push back on my arms to keep myself in place, which was causing my shoulders to tense up.  Dick kicked the seat back a bit, lowered the brake hoods a touch, and I felt immediately better.  Went out for a short spin on the road to double check, yep, that is a keeper!

Next we threw the cross bike up on the trainer.  It seemed like I was a bit cramped, and again my shoulders were getting pushed up.  We put on a setback seatpost, pushed the saddle back, and he seemed to think that was in improvement.  Took a few laps on the grass field outside the shop, and I could really feel the difference.  It felt like I was riding through the turns, rather than sitting on top of the bike. 

Last was the TT bike.  I sat down and Dick just shook his head.  I never had been fit on this bike, and had no idea how to set it up.  He moved the bars up, changed the angle of the bars, installed a shim to raise the arm rests a bit more, pushed the arm rests out 2 cm and tweaked the seat.  After all that, it was no longer painful to sit in the aero bars.  Much more better. 

Really glad I set this up.  I thought I was in a good position on the bikes, but a few small changes and things really felt better.  Excited to get out on the road and get settled in this, but it may be several months if we get some snow soon, as well as taking a break to heal up.

1 comment:

  1. Pictures ! You must have pictures ! Otherwise we think you were REALLY just sitting in your underwear, watching football, drinking beer and talking to a cat named, "twinkles."

    ReplyDelete