Saturday, November 10, 2012

Northampton cycle smart cross 11/4/2012Back again for another day of racing in Western MA. They changed the course up for the second day, so the run up at the start was gone. That kept things together a bit more at the start, which was good. The sand pit was closer to the start. Got a few warm up laps. Staged toward the back again, whistle blew and we were off. A few turns and straights, then hit the sand pits. I was a bit distracted by all the traffic bogging down ahead of me, and lost my balance trying to steer around and ended up going down on my side. Got back up quick, and rode on. Picked up a few places heading into the runup. Passed a rider on my left, and we bumped a bit. When I got back on the bike, the chain had jumped down to the small ring, and I could not get it back on the big. This was not going to work as this was a flat, fast course. The chain was making a horrible grinding noise as well. Got off and took a look. The front derailleur had twisted and slipped. Took a bit to get it straightned out while every rider in my group passed me. Hopped back on in last place, after a half a lap. Started charging to get back in the game. I'll admit I considered thowing in the towel and heading home early to spend time with my family. But I hung on, and within a lap saw a cluster of riders ahead of me partying in the back. 30, then 20 seconds ahead, then had them in my rear view. OK, let's get going. Put in a hard effort, and passed 3-4 riders on every lap. Rode cleanly, no flubs on the barriers or on the sand pit for the rest of the race. Last 1/4 lap saw a group of 4 ahead of me. Was determined to pass at least 2 before the finish. Pulled ahead of two on the last curves, then was gunning for #3 on the finishing straight. He saw me coming and accelerated. I gritted my teeth and grunted "FORGETABOUTIT" and got him just before the line. Sometimes I amaze myself. Sometimes I can be an idiot. no hard feelings. Really pretty dissappointed with my placing. No much I could do, had a mechanical, but with the run up placed later, I really thought I would have been able to finish much higher. Still pretty stoked I managed to pass 20 riders after starting in last, though

Back again for another day of racing in Western MA.  They changed the course up for the second day, so the run up at the start was gone.  That kept things together a bit more at the start, which was good.  The sand pit was closer to the start.

Got a few warm up laps.  Staged toward the back again, whistle blew and we were off.   A few turns and straights, then hit the sand pits.  I was a bit distracted by all the traffic bogging down ahead of me, and lost my balance trying to steer around and ended up going down on my side.  Got back up quick, and rode on.  Picked up a few places heading into the runup.  Passed a rider on my left, and we bumped a bit.  When I got back on the bike, the chain had jumped down to the small ring, and I could not get it back on the big.  This was not going to work as this was a flat, fast course.  The chain was making a horrible grinding noise as well.  Got off and took a look.  The front derailleur had twisted and slipped.  Took a bit to get it straightened out while every rider in my group passed me.  Hopped back on in last place, after a half a lap.  Started charging to get back in the game.  I'll admit I considered throwing in the towel and heading home early to spend time with my family.  But I hung on, and within a lap saw a cluster of riders ahead of me partying in the back.  30, then 20 seconds ahead, then had them in my rear view.  OK, let's get going.  Put in a hard effort, and passed 3-4 riders on every lap.  Rode cleanly, no flubs on the barriers or on the sand pit for the rest of the race.  Last 1/4 lap saw a group of 4 ahead of me.  Was determined to pass at least 2 before the finish.  Pulled ahead of two on the last curves, then was gunning for #3 on the finishing straight.  He saw me coming and accelerated.  I gritted my teeth and grunted "FORGETABOUTIT" and got him just before the line.

Sometimes I amaze myself.  Sometimes I can be an idiot.  no hard feelings.

Really pretty disappointed with my placing.  No much I could do, had a mechanical, but with the run up placed later, I really thought I would have been able to finish much higher.  Still pretty stoked I managed to pass 20 riders after starting in last, though

No comments:

Post a Comment